Portuguese Flag French Flag Romanian Flag Polish Flag Russian Flag United Kingdom Flag

Child residence

Residence is the term used to describe who the child lives with and who looks after the child on a day-to-day basis. It may often be the case that there is no dispute as to who the child should reside with. The person who the child lives with is seen to have ‘de facto’ residence of the child.


Since the introduction of the Children (Jersey) Law 2002, the familiar terms ‘custody’ and ‘care and control’ have been replaced by ‘residence’, ‘parental responsibility’ and ‘contact’.

Where there is a dispute as to which parent the child shall live with, an application can be made to the court to make an order to resolve it. The court can either make an order for sole residence, which means the child lives with one parent, or shared residence, where the child lives with both parents.

In determining the issue of residence, the court’s paramount consideration is the welfare of the child. In residence applications it is normal for a JFCAS officer to be appointed who will prepare a report with recommendations for the court based on meetings with both parents and the child.

Residency case study – Dev’s story:

Dev and Julie have twins and have been married for five years. Julie has now met someone else and wishes to go and live with him, taking the twins with her. Dev is in agreement with this, but only if they continue to live in Jersey. Julie’s new partner has been offered a very good job in New York and Julie now wants to go and live there with the twins. Dev does not agree with this and asks for advice.

Events & Offers

Free 30 minute family law consultation
Free 30 minute family law consultation with our experienced family law team to discuss your matter.
Mondays to Fridays 9.30am to 4.30pm
More info / book →
← Close
← Close
← Close
← Close