Notaries form an independent branch of the legal profession. Their practice as Notaries is quite separate from their practice of any other profession or business and is not controlled by the rules affecting other lawyers.
- Notaries are primarily concerned with the certification of signatures and documents for use abroad and the typical activities of a notary include:
- Preparing and witnessing powers of attorney for use overseas;
- Dealing with purchase or sale of land and property abroad;
- Providing documents to deal with the administration of the estates of people who are abroad, or owning property abroad;
- Authenticating personal documents and information for immigration or emigration purposes, or to apply to marry or to work abroad;
- Authenticating company and business documents and transactions.
There seems to be increasing demand for notarial services in light of the worldwide anti-money laundering and “know your client” concerns. Notaries are ideally placed to provide comfort as to the identity and capacity of parties in international transactions.
Viberts’ Partner Charles Thacker is a qualified Notaries Public and is able to provide a professional service at short notice.
Advocate & Notary Public
Senior Partner & Personal Law Partner